Simon Bacon lives and works in Essex and he graduated with an MA in Sculptural Practice from Colchester School of Art in 2013. He trained in Sculpture at the London Atelier of Representational Art as a pupil of Valentina Zlatarova. His work is influenced by over twenty-five years as an Osteopath and four years postgraduate research in Transpersonal Psychology, all of which supports his expression of existential themes through the human form. His figurative work and process is shaped by a deep interest in the body, philosophy of mind and consciousness, typically reflecting an expression and enquiry of process, and references existential concepts and themes of identity, individual existence, freedom and choice, which are embodied through the narrative of the making itself. The sculptures undergo a number of stages from initial, often unmediated, modelling in clay to pieces that are ultimately cast in Bronze. Representational work is gradually deconstructed, fragmented and altered through process and making until the finished pieces become unique transformed figurative forms. For Simon, it is important that each piece is unique, as our existence and lives are ambiguous, uncertain and unique. The surfaces and forms of the sculptures which in some cases appears fragile, eroded and fragmented represent the conflict between our inner subjective reality and an outer "other" reality, the struggle with the uncertainty and ambiguity of life and the physical and psychological effects this has on us. Simon tries to sculpt the phenomenological; the " way and how it feels" experience of our becoming and the lived experience.
For him existence includes more that is currently existing.
• Selected Exhibitions :
• Autumn Exhibition - Thompson's Gallery, London
• 35 Annual Exhibition- Thompson's Gallery, Aldeburgh
• Art 50 Exhibition - Sculpt Gallery
• Are you interested in bodies? - Sentinel Gallery, Wivenhoe.
• Annual Open Exhibition- Sentinel Gallery, Wivenhoe
• Spring Exhibition- Thompson's Gallery Aldeburgh
• Christmas Exhibition Thompson's Gallery, Aldeburgh
• A year in Review- Lacey Contemporary Gallery,
• London AAF Battersea,London
• Autumn Exhibition Thompson's Gallery, Aldeburgh
• Open Studios- Sculpt Gallery Summer Exhibition- Sculpt Gallery.
• Sentinel Gallery, Wivenhoe.
• ' The Art of Casting'. Simon Bacon; Naomi Blake FRBS; Maurice Blik PPRBS. Sculpt Gallery
• Firstsite Collectors' group Award
• Bacon Fenn & Moran : A Dedication to Form- Lacy Contemporary Gallery, London
• Affordable Art Fair, Battersea, London
• 'Shaping The Future' An exhibition showcasing sculpture by three talented emerging Essex artists: Simon Bacon and Lucy Lutyens. Sculpt Gallery
• Colchester and Tendering Open Studios.
• S.A.S Brushstroke Art Exhibition. St Peter's Church, Sudbury.
• Art and Living in association with Bang and Olufsen Colchester Art in Mind.
• The Brick Lane Gallery, London Colchester and Tendring Open Studios.
• Masters at the Minories – Graduation Show Solo Show- Hay Gallery Colchester School of Art.
• 1969: Born Colchester
• 1978: Colchester High School for Boys
• 1986-88: Colchester Royal Grammar School
• 1988-92: British College of Osteopathic Medicine
• 2007-11: MSc Transpersonal Psychology and Consciousness Studies, University of Northampton
• 2011 Best Student Commendation Award Transpersonal Psychology and Consciousness Studies- University of Northampton
• 2011-2013: Easter and Summer Schools London Atelier of Representational Art (Tutor Valentina Zlatarova)
• 2011: Portrait Sculpture LARA (Tutor: Valentina Zlatarova)
• 2011-2013: MA Sculptural Practice, Colchester School of Art
• 2011- 2013: Introduced to Laurence Edwards and makes regular visits to Butley Studios to learn about bronze casting. Uses the foundry for all casting to date.
• 2015- Formally appointed as understudy for a significant Maurice Blik commission