Lymington Ferry, Watercolour, 2" x 3.5", £425
Rhine Landing Stage, Watercolour, 2.25"" x 6", £425
Castle Of Ivrea, (Turin), N.Italy, Watercolour and Ink, 5'' x 8'', £450
Chipps Court, Queens, Cambridge, Ink, 5 x 3, £585
Chapel Interior, Pembroke College Oxford , Ink, 6 x 5, £250
The Lodge Hampshire II, Watercolour, 2 x 5, £450 SALE £350
The Lodge Hampshire I , Watercolour, 3 x 6, £575 SALE £350
Waiting Housemaid 74/90, Etching, 7 x 5, £150
Nanny Knows Best, ed.of 100, etching, £180
Happy Easter, Miniatures, Watercolour and pencil, £585
Washing Riverbank, Agra, India, pen and watercolour, 7" x 10", £1,450
To Thank You Dearest J's, pen, 6" x 7", £250
Frogmore, pen and watercolour, 4" x 3", £425
Waiting Lady, Pen and Watercolour, 5 x 3 , SOLD
Small buildings, Series III, pen and watercolour, 2" x 2", SOLD
1910 - 1999
Sir Hugh Casson was educated at Eastbourne College, St John’s College, Cambridge, and the Bartlett School of Architecture, University College, London. In 1933 he was Craven Scholar at the British School at Athens.
As assistant and later partner to Christopher Nicholson (1904–48) Hugh Casson was involved in the Modern Movement but also worked on the Surrealist transformation of Monkton House (1936–8), West Dean Park, Chichester, W. Sussex (originally designed by Lutyens), for the collector and patron Edward James.
Casson served as a Camouflage Officer (1940–44) in the Air Ministry and as Technical Officer in the Ministry of Town and Country Planning (1944–6). In 1946 he established a partnership with Neville Conder, who had been educated at Charterhouse School, Surrey, and the Architectural Association School, London. In 1948, Hugh Casson was appointed Director of Architecture for the Festival of Britain, coordinating the brilliant display of modern architecture for the arts complex on the South Bank, London (opened May 1951), with attention to vistas, landscape and colour. Hugh Casson was knighted in 1952 in recognition of this achievement.
Sir Hugh Casson, a distinguished artist as well as architect and planner, was in practice with Christopher Nicholson before World War II and with Neville Conder for nearly thirty years after the War. He was the Director of Architecture coordinating the design of the South Bank exhibition for the Festival of Britain in 1951 and has also served as President of the Royal Academy and Professor of Environmental Design and Provost of the Royal College of Art.
His architectural work has included Coronation decorations educational and research buildings, civic design projects, domestic architecture and zoo buildings.
Educated at Eastbourne College and St John`s College, Cambridge
Studied architecture at Cambridge; British School at Athens; Bartlett School;
University College, London
Awarded Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order
Master of Arts
Albert Medal, Royal Society of Arts 1984
Italian Order of Merit 1980
Elected Member of the Royal Academy
Past President of the Royal Academy 1976 - 1985
Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects
Associate Fellow of the Surveyors Institute
Appointed Director of Architecture, Festival of Britain 1951
Professor of Environmental Design, Royal College of Art 1953 - 1975
Honorary Doctor at the Royal College of Art 1975
Royal Designer of Industry
Publications `Homes by the Million` `Hugh Casson`s London`
`Victorian Architecture` `Hugh Casson`s Oxford`
`New Sights of London` `Hugh Casson`s Cambridge`
`Nanny Says` `Japan Observed`
`Diary` `The Tower of London`